What is a Career College?
Career Colleges increase the range and choice of opportunities open to 14-19 year olds. They provide accelerated vocationally-focused programmes of study at colleges equipped to the highest standards and are staffed by expert teachers, supported by employers.
- Are established by employers and Further Education colleges
- Specialise in subjects linked directly to sectors with exceptional job prospects
- Partner with employers to design and deliver the curriculum and work experience
- Ensure employers represent a minimum of 40% of career college board members
- Offer 14 to 19 provision, with progression to Apprenticeships, higher education and employment
Against a background of high youth unemployment, the over-arching target is that every young person leaving a Career College, whether at 16 or 18, will be in work, training or education.